paddle without twaddle
April 03: Yesterday
and today I worked up the double paddle for the Quark.
The plans call for using 1-inch closet rod for the shaft
and 1/4-inch leftover plywood for the blades. I decided
to make a blank of blades and shaft in a single piece
of ply. All I had lying around was some bc pine in 3/8-inch
thickness, so I used that. I also had a douglas fir offcut
in 1/4 by 4 by 8 feet. I cut that in inch-wide strips.
The three pieces went together with Elmer's glue.
I sanded the blank smooth and fixed a few imperfections
with Elmer's glue and wood flour as a putty. The paddle
is cute. Hope it works OK.
3M 5200 compound that I used on the hull is still tacky
after 48 hours. I rubbed some wood flour into it. I'm
going to start priming tomorrow.
spend so far:
Add four hours of paddle-making, for a total so far of
so far: Add $5 for plywood for the double paddle,
for a total so far of $171.12.