work comes first
May 03: I
did all the lofting onto the mondo piece of plywood
I pieced together the other day. By using a 4- by
8-foot frame that I had left over from the Harmonica
project, placed atop my workbench, I was able to spare
my back on what proved to be a long day of good work.
came the sides, which the plans divide into 12-inch
stations. I put a nail at each station point and used
spring clamps to clamp a batten to the nails. After
cutting out the first side, the plans called for laying
out the bulkheads on the remaining plywood while there
was still a straight edge to use in the lofting.
cut out the bulkheads and the sides, I used a power
saw set just over the 1/4-inch thickness of the plywood.
This is my first time for that; before I have used
a hand jig saw, which is not nearly as accurate, as
it turns out, which accords with the advice of many
people in print.
pieces are warped and floppy, but the cuts are accurate,
though I did have some trouble with the bulkheads
and a jig I made from a piece of poplar to use as
a saw guide. My cuts were right on top of the lines,
but the problem is uniform, and amounts to 1/16 to
1/8 inch, so I'm going to live with it. The fairing
process will even up the differences, and I usually
have tended to cut on the line instead of beside it
anyway, so I'm still doing things the same way, but
with a new tool choice -- power saw instead of jig
spent so far: Add 8 hours for today's lofting
and cutting out work, for a total so far of 10 hours.
so far: Holding at $83.93.